The Last Recipe of the Summer–Single Serving Key Lime Pie
We have been blessed with a long warm Indian summer. It has been in the high 80’s for most of October and I have been enjoying all the late summer wild flours in my area. We were also blessed with company last week, so I got to make the last of the summer recipes that I love–Key Lime Pie. I wasn’t entire sure how many people would show up for our last cookout so I made the dessert as single servings to be sure I’d have enough. It was a big hit with everyone.
I like to have lots of different gluten-free ingredients available in my freezer and pantry. One of those is the gluten-free graham crackers. These are so versatile. We could have made gf s’mores but I had already ground the remaining ones into crumbs–so I had them on hand for this recipe. Easy!
I also love Key Lime Pie. It was one of the first things I ever made for my husband. Now that I have a reliable recipe for the gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, I’ll be making it often next summer! I hope you are finding that adapting family favorites to gluten-free recipes is easy. If you have one that you would like help with, just give me an email. I’m sure that together we can make it work.
Here is my recipe for single serving Key Lime Pie. Enjoy!
- ¾ cups key lime juice (juice from 1 pound key limes or good bottled lime juice--save some lime rind for decoration)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 8oz whipped topping (I used about 6 oz and saved some for topping)
- 8oz cream cheese (at room temperture)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (recipe for gf graham crackers posted August 21, 2015)
- Melt butter in microwave and mix with crushed graham crackers in a small bowl. Set aside.
- in a medium bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and add the sweetened condensed milk. Continue to beat on medium speed. It is very important at this step to get the cream cheese mixed completely smooth. Add the lime juice and mix.
- Fold in the whipped topping to the cream cheese mixture until combined. If desired, add a couple of drops of green food coloring.
- Fill 12 cupcake cups about ¾ full with the lime mixture. Top with the graham cracker crumbs. Place the cupcake tin in the freezer and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, gently go around each pie with a knife to loosen. Place the cupcake tin in about 1 inch of hot water for just a minute. Taking a spoon, gently lift each pie out of the cupcake pan. Turn each over onto the graham cracker crust and place on a platter. If you aren't serving immediately, place the serving platter in the freezer. To serve, top each pie with a scoop of whipped topping and a piece of lime rind. Makes 12 servings with about a cup extra of topping.