Slow Cooker Stuffed Beef Rolls
Don’t you think that the beginning of school places a lot on the shoulders of parents? Today I have 2 meetings for the kids but they are not even in the same area–so I’ll be on the road quite a bit. In addition to that, we are trying to have everyone at the dinner table to sit together and discuss our days. We need to do this before sports begin and it becomes impossible to do it during the week. We always have good intentions but can’t always accomplish this.
Since I’m quite busy today, I decided to do a family favorite crock pot or slow cooker dinner. Once I get it into the slow cooker, I know the at the main course will be ready when the family is at the table. This recipe uses the gluten-free bread that I freeze. I’ve said it often and will say it again–having bread cubes, bread crumbs or panko from my own gluten-free bread in the freezer is a lifesaver for some of these recipes. Anytime I have bread that is over 2-3 days old, I make it into one of these. It’s just so easy to have on hand and if you go out to buy gf necessities like this–the price is outrageous and the flavor is questionable. I much prefer my own.
One other thing that I use to make this dinner easier on the cook is 1-2 envelopes of Mayacamas gravy mix. I started using this brand when a friend who is vegetarian recommended it. Usually I don’t like to use prepared stuff. It is often full of MSG or unsavory ingredients. This brand gravy mix is excellent! And it is gluten-free certified, so I can use it confidently. It comes in brown gravy and savory herb, both excellent! Something I keep on the shelf for days like today. Dinner is going to be on time and very, very good!
- 4-6 thin slices beef round steaks or cube steaks
- 2 cups gluten-free bread cubes--small dice (Bread made from Baking Free gluten-free All Purpose flour)
- 4 slices bacon, crispy cooked, diced
- ¼ cup finely diced onon
- ¼ cup finely diced mushrooms
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 2 cups beef broth
- Prepare meat. Cubed steaks have already been tenderized and thinned. If using thin steaks, pound each piece on both sides until piece is about 9 inches long and 5 inches wide. The pounding thins and tenderizes the meat. Set aside.
- Saute the chopped onion, chopped mushrooms and carrots in 2 tablespoons butter until soft. Set aside.
- Combine the bread cubes, bacon, salt & pepper, and spices in a medium bowl. Stir in the sauteed vegetables including the butter from the pan. Mix well--stuffing should be on the dry side but flavorful.
- Place about ¼ cup stuffing across each steak and roll up from the narrow end. Secure the roll with a toothpick. If there is stuffing left over--refrigerate for another use or heat in microwave to serve along with rolls.
- Place all rolls in slow cooker--one level. Cover with broth and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. When rolls are done cooking, remove from slow cooker and set on serving dish. If serving with gravy, follow manufacturer's directions to make gravy mix but using broth from slow cooker instead of water. Remove the fat from the broth before making the gravy. Serve 1 roll per person with gravy spooned over rolls or along side.