September says Apples To Me–Harvest Apple Cake
Our nights are getting just a bit cooler here and that tells me that Fall is on the way! One of our favorite Fall outings is to go to the apple orchard and getting a bushel of apples. Bring on the homemade apple sauce, apples and sausage for breakfast, and apple cake.
This apple cake is a snap to make. It uses only two shredded, peeled and cored apples. The cinnamon and walnuts adds to the rich flavors. Originally it was a dessert cake, but we eat it anytime. I often serve it warm at breakfast as a coffee cake, as a snack or for dessert. It is a reliable recipe and takes only minutes to get it into the oven. I hope you give this a try and enjoy it as much as my family does. Happy harvest apple cake!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cup Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup shredded peeled apples (I used 2 Granny Smith apples))
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9-inch round cake pan and sprinkle with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, betk butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla, flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in apples and nuts. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream. Makes 1 9-inch cake. Serves 8.