Savory Oats–Who Knew Oats Make a Great Side Dish!
Gluten-free family cooks have a lot of requirements in planning and preparing nutritious meals for their families. Sometimes it can seem like such a chore. In our quest to encourage our customers to broaden their horizons and use oats as a naturally gluten-free grain if processed properly, we have been researching recipes that use our product, Positively Free Instant Oats. I was pleasantly surprised at a couple of recipes called “Savory Oats.”
Made to the consistency of mashed potatoes with the addition of fresh vegetables and, sometimes, cheese these were spectacular! Who knew?
I get tired of potatoes and rice. Starches are not my favorites but I have a family to fill up at dinner. So I decided to try one of these and was blown away with the new dimension of using oats for dinner. Now my family is used to my unusual additions to meals–this is how I earn a living–plus I cook or bake almost everything “from scratch.” I put together the first recipe, Mediterranean Oatmeal, so quickly and liked it so much that I did the second one for the same meal! That recipe will be posted tomorrow. Try them both for a pleasant surprise.
We sure enjoyed these recipes and hope you and your family will too!
- ½ cup Positively Free Instant Oats
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 dash dried oregano
- pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (oil packed or reconsitituted)
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Combine oats, stock, oregano, garlic and pepper in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more stock if needed to keep consistency like mashed potatoes--not too thick.
- Add vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Heat for 1 more minute on range.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with feta cheese. Serves 3-4 as a side dish.