Red Velvet Cupcakes–Gluten-Free and Delicious!
This was a request, but I’m delighted to post this recipe. A member of our community wanted this recipe so she could provide red velvet cupcakes for her child at a birthday party. Many times in life it is a help to be just like everyone else. These cupcakes allowed the mother to have a treat for her Celiac child that was “just like everyone else’s.” A noble effort and I hope her child had a wonderful time at the party!
I find the support we get from various members of our community to be very rewarding. I am always happy to work on a recipe for any one of you. Then I get to share it because I feel we all need just a little support every once in a while. Let me know what you are struggling with and I’ll try to help. It would be my pleasure.
In the meantime, here is this wonderful recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
- 1¾ cup Baking Free Gluten-Free all purpose flour (217 g)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and cooled to room temperature)
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring (or more if needed)
- 1 cup milk (scant measure, at room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a standard 12 cup muffin time with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl, place flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder and sugar. Mix on low jus
t to combine.
- Still on low, add the butter, eggs, vanilla and vinegar. Mix to combine and scrape sides if necessary. Add about half of the food coloring and all the milk. Mix well. Add the remaining food coloring, if necessary, to get the desired color. Mix well.
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Only fill each cup ½ full if you want a flat cupcake to decorate. Fill ⅔ full if you want a rounded top cupcake.
- Place filled tin in the middle of the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting with your favorite recipe. Makes 12 cupcakes.