Quick Chicken and Dumplings made with Baking Mix–Yum!
The first of September always signals to me that Fall is coming too quickly. With all the school, sports and other time-consuming events, you will need a quick, healthy gluten-free dinner that can be on the table in thirty minutes or less. Well, here it is and it’s very tasty too! Your family will be so glad you have this meal planned.
It uses deli chicken, so if you buy one for lunches or dinners–this recipe will fill the bill! Of course, you can also prepare your own chicken. If you have any left over from another meal, just chop it into about 1 cup of cooked chicken and you are half way to making this gluten-free dinner. I used Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup. It is so great that manufacturers are making and labeling gluten-free soups now. A true improvement in the market!
Give this recipe a try. Just gather all the ingredients in the morning–it goes together so quickly and uses so many pantry items, you will be delighted. Always keep a couple of cups of the baking mix in your pantry or freezer. You can vary your meals so easily with its help! Enjoy!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup cut-up chicken (make your own, leftovers or part of a bought deli roasted chicken)
- 1 can Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup (or your favorite gluten-free mushroom soup)
- 1 cup homemade gluten-free baking mix (recipe posted June 29)
- ⅓ cup milk
- Paprika, if desired
- Heat milk, peas and carrots, chicken and soup to boiling in a 3-quart saucepan, stirring frequently.
- Stir homemade gf baking mix and ⅓ cup milk together until a soft dough forms. Drop dough by 8 spoonfuls onto the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes. cover and cook 10 minutes longer. I was always told not to peek during this time or the dumplings would get heavy. So just set at timer and wait. Dinner is ready when done. Serves 4.