Pumpkin Scones with Maple Glaze
It’s official! With Thanksgiving this Thursday–the holiday season will begin. I can think of no better way to start off this week than by baking something appropriate for the family–pumpkin scones! Yum! These are quick and easy to put together and, with the glaze, everyone will thing you have been baking all day. I won’t tell that they practically make themselves.
These are made without any add-ins. You can add nuts if you want or raisins or chips–make them your own. And to think, some people only enjoy pumpkin once a year in their pumpkin pie! But you know better, these scones will change their minds. Enjoy!
- 1½ cup Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour (186 g)
- ¼ cup Positively Free Instant Oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 heaped tablespoon pumpkin pie spice mix (recipe posted Oct. 22, 2015)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 stick cold butter, cubed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons good maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add flour, oats, baking powder, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, xanthan gum and salt to a food processor and process to combine. Add butter cubes and pulse until pea-sized.
- Transfer flour mixture to a large bowl of a stand mixer. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk, pumpkin puree, egg and vanilla. On low, add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined.
- Transfer batter to a floured surface, and with well floured hands, pat into a 1-inch thick circle. Cut into 8 even sections and transfer to the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool on baking rack for at least 5 minutes before drizzling glaze. Makes 8 scones.
- Mix the ingredients for the glaze together with a spoon in a small bowl. Once scones are cooled, drizzle glaze over scones. Serve immediately or allow to cool completely.