Pineapple Upside Down Cake–A Summer Memory
For some reason, pineapple recipes always remind me of things my mother baked for us in the spring and summer. I thought it was because of the pineapple rings she would put on ham for Easter dinner or the ambrosia that was always served at wedding or baby showers or graduations. It doesn’t really make sense, because the pineapple was always from a can–so we could have made these recipes anytime during the year but, no, they were always made for spring or summer events. And who am I to tamper with tradition? So here I go reinforcing warm memories with my own gluten-free contribution to the season. My mother’s recipe for pineapple upside down cake is simple and everyone in the family still loves it!
I’m finding converting my family recipes to gluten-free so easy with Freedom Delivered Gluten-Free all purpose flour. I substitute the gluten-free flour in the recipe cup-for-cup and have never had a problem. I do, however, weigh the gluten-free flour (each cup should weigh 124 g) instead of scooping it out of the bag. This flour is so light that you have to weigh it–if you scoop it you get about 1 1/4 cups and that would make the recipe too dense or too dry. This is just a reminder that you can make those family recipes gluten-free; enjoy your family’s traditions and pass them down to your children and still lead a gluten-free, healthy lifestyle.
So, with all that in mind–here is my mother’s recipe for a delicious spring cake.
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅔ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 6 Slices pineapple from 20 0z can
- 3-4 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1½ Cup Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour (186 g)
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- ½ Cup butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt the ¼ cup butter over medium heat in a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Remove from heat ans spread the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the skillet.
- Drain the pineapple slices and pat dry with a paper towel. Arrange 5 pineapple slices around the edge of the skillet and one in the center. Place a maraschino cherry half in the center of each pineapple ring with the sliced side facing up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the egg yolks and the sugar. Beat until they turn a light yellow. Add vanilla and beat again.
- Combine baking powder and flour, Slowly add the dry ingredients to the creamed yolks and sugar. Add in the milk and beat batter. Set aside.
- Place egg whites in medium bowl and beat with mixer and clean beaters. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter mixture. Spoon batter over pineapple slices.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake in skillet for 30 minutes and then invert onto serving plate. May be served warm or cold.