Pecan Bundt Coffee Cake with Butter Rum Drizzle
I like making bundt coffee cakes. They are large enough for me to share with a neighbor or two, and still have enough for my family. I have a neighbor who had been ill for a couple of days. Recently, I heard she was feeling much better, so I decided to make this cake and take a couple of slices to her and her husband. I’m so glad I did! It seems that her poor husband was trying to make dinners from what was on the pantry shelf, and he’d run out of ideas. My cake became their small nibble for lunch, and I was able to take a small casserole to them for dinner. Later that day their daughter arrived to help, so the husband was saved from another “dinner” of soup and crackers. I must remember that these two (who are elderly) need more compassion. Also, I got the daughter’s phone number so we can stay in touch.
Needless to say, my neighbors enjoyed the coffee cake almost as much as my family does. It is substantial, so I often serve a narrow slice along with scrambled eggs for breakfast or brunch. We especially enjoy the butter rum drizzle. It elevates the coffee cake to something special. Plus, since I created the recipe, and use flavoring not real rum, even the youngest can enjoy the flavors. I hope you will try this recipe. And if you do, think about your friends and neighbors who might just need something sweet from you. You never know it just might be what they need! Happy gluten-free baking!
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2½ cups Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ cup ground pecans
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon water (more if needed to thin drizzle)
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease or spray bundt pan.
- Beat ¾ cup butter and sugar with a stand mixer until light an fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the mixture before adding the next egg. Add vanilla and combine.
- In separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum. Add flour mixture alternatively with sour cream to the sugar mixture. Finally add the ground pecans and combine.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the batter in the pan. Then complete pouring the batter into the pan. Smooth top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Then lower the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 40 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- In a small bowl with a spoon stir together the ingredients for butter rum drizzle. Add more water by the teaspoonful if needed. Drizzle over completely cooled cake. Makes 1 cake 8-10 servings.