Old Fashioned Gingerbread
This is probably the oldest dessert in the world. History tells us that Egyptians had a cake like gingerbread in 2,000 B.C.! Amazing isn’t it? I love gingerbread even more than gingerbread cookies. My mother used to serve warm gingerbread topped with cold apple sauce. The warm, sweet gingerbread and the cold, smooth apple sauce is such a wonderful complimentary dessert. In my opinion, that is the best way!
I must admit that until I started only doing gluten-free baking, I used to bake gingerbread from those little boxes in the grocery store. It tasted OK and satisfied my craving for this warm and wonderful dessert, I guess. Then when I had to go gluten-free, I decided to check out how difficult it would be to bake gingerbread from scratch. Bonus! It is so easy!
It takes a couple of minutes to weigh and measure everything, then into the oven for about an hour. I can make and serve dinner in that time and still have a wonderful dessert for the table. Not to mention how wonderful the house smells while the gingerbread is baking. Who needs scented candles when you can bake this treat? Here is the recipe and I hope you will be inspired to bake it for your family. This makes a warm, rich and wonderful surprise for everyone. Enjoy!
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1 cup molasses (spray measuring cup before measuring molasses)
- 2½ cups Baking Free ™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour (310 g)
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray and lightly flour a 9-inch square pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the molasses.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, spices and xanthan gum. Blend the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture. Finally stir in the hot water. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven. Check that the gingerbread is done by inserting a toothpick into the center. It should come out clean. All to cool in the pan before serving. Makes 1 loaf--9 servings.