More Savory Oats
Here is the second recipe for a savory side dish using oats as mentioned in yesterday’s blog. These are quite interesting and tasty. I have friends who say everything tastes better with bacon and, in this instance, they were right!
Savory oatmeal with bacon, cheddar cheese, tomatoes and chives hits several notes for a meal. Its hearty starch with lots of flavor and veggies added too. I can see this side dish along with chicken nuggets, grilled ribs or burgers. Let your imagination loose!
- 2 medium slices bacon (cooked to a crisp and crumbled)
- ½ cup Positively Free Instant Oats
- ¾ cups vegetable or chicken stock
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- ½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon and prepare chives and tomatoes. Set aside.
- Bring stock to boil over medium-high heat. Add oats and cook 3-5 minutes. Add more stock if necessary to keep at mashed potato consistency.
- Stir in cheddar, chives, salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning.
- Just before serving, stir in the crumbled bacon and top with tomatoes. Serves 3-4 as a side dish.