Moulded Sugar Cookies for Valentine’s Day
The kids will need something special for their lunches the day their school celebrates Valentine’s Day. For Christmas, a friend gave me a Wilton baking tray for moulded heart sugar cookies. This is just the excuse I need to try something new. I have never made moulded cookies before, but I’ve always wanted to try them. I have seen a mould that you use with shortbread to make a large cookie–that tempts me too!
The mould makes a dozen heart shaped cookies with different top shapes. I found some easier than others for getting the cookies out easily. I finally only used the shape that is almost flat as it was difficult to get the smaller shapes to release easily and cleanly. Like any other skill, this will take a bit of practice before it comes naturally to me. However, they taste just great! I had the cookies baked and cooled so the kids could help me decorate them. I bought some gluten-free jelly hearts to help with the decorating. The candy were rather thick so I decided to slice them in half crosswise so they looked better on the iced cookies. I just used a white buttercream icing for these cookies.
I adapted the recipe that came with the pan. They tasted sweet and crisp. All-in-all they worked well. I hope you will bake some gluten-free Valentine’s Day cookies for your kids too!
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons clear vanilla (regular vanilla will darken the cookies)
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2¾ cups Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cavities on the pan with baking spray.
- In a bowl for stand mixer, beat sugar and butter together until well blended. Beat in egg and flavorings.
- Combine flour and salt in separate bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture. Beat until well blended.
- Press dough into shaped cavities. Each should be about ⅔ full. I found about a generous tablespoon worked.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown on edges. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn pan over and lightly tap to remove cookies. Cool completely on baking rack. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Makes about 7 dozen cookies