GF Pecan Balls–Only 5 Ingredients
I love pecans–the texture of them and the subtle flavor of them. During the holidays I often make pecan balls covered in powdered sugar. They look like snowballs and taste divine! But it’s the heat of the summer and I’m having a couple of ladies over for a meeting, so I decided to make these because they are simpler and more appropriate for the heat of summer. It doesn’t hurt that these bake at a lower temperature than usual baked goodies and that these particular friends haven’t tried them yet. All good reasons to bake in August.
These cookies are small and dainty but they pack a big flavor. Just right for a light summer luncheon or afternoon tea. I like to drizzle them with the little bit of chocolate for decoration. Nothing too heavy–just right. I also like that this recipe makes just 22-24 cookies. I can make the the morning of the gathering, enjoy them and not have lots of calories left over! This is another recipe that I make and people don’t believe that they are eating gluten-free goodies! I really enjoy serving tasty treats and fooling my gluten-full friends. Is that so naughty of me? I don’t think so!
The final thing that I like about this recipe is that I usually have all the ingredients for these pecan balls in the pantry. I think they are just a bit magical! Give them a try whenever you want something that is elegant and tasty. You won’t be disappointed!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups Freedom Delivered gluten-free All Purpose Flour (248 g)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, heaping
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Cream the butter, sugar and flour together in a medium bowl with a stand mixer on medium.
- Fold in the pecans and salt until combined. The mixture will be crumbly but will stick together if pressed.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, roll dough into ½ -inch balls. Makes about 24 small balls. Place on baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Cookies will not spread.
- Bake at 275 degrees F for 45 minutes. Cookies will dry but not brown. Let cool completely on baking sheet. Store in air tight container.
- Optional: If you want to drizzle the cookies with chocolate glaze, melt chips in microwave on high for 30 seconds. Check if you can stir. If not, try another 30 seconds. If you can stir the chocolate but not drizzle it, add 1-2 teaspoons of water and stir. This should thin the consistency enough to be able to drizzle over cookies.