Flour Tortillas for Cinco de Mayo
OK, so almost everyone I know who is Celiac or living gluten-free knows that corn tacos, corn chips, salsa and guacamole are all gluten-free. So we aren’t exactly doing without Mexican meals. But did you ever notice that all you really wanted was a flour tortilla? Well I have a recipe for an easy to make gluten-free flour tortilla. It also uses just a touch of mashed potato flakes to help with the flexibility. I was intrigued with this recipe and had to try it. It really works! I admit they are the best immediately after they are made but I did heat one the next day in the microwave (wrapped in a damp paper towel) and it was still good and flexible.
A couple of notes–don’t over cook the tortillas. Only 2 minutes or so on the first side, flip it and press down. Then only one minute on the second side. These are quite thin and cook quickly. Enjoy! Happy Cinco de Mayo to you.
- 2 cups Baking Free Gluten-Free all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup instant mashed potato flakes
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and knead on low speed with paddle until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Flour work surface and divide dough into 8 even balls. Cover dough with plastic wrap or a clean towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron frying pan on medium-high heat. One at a time, place ball in tortilla press on a piece of floured plastic wrap. Press to make tortilla. Alternatively you can press balls out into 5" round with rolling pin on floured plastic wrap. Brush off excess flour.
- Lay the tortilla in the heated pan and cook until there are browned spots on the bottom of the dough, about 2 minutes only.
Flip the tortilla, press down with spatula and cook second side until spotted, about a minute.
- Remove the cooked tortilla from the pan, place it on a clean kitchen towel and cover to keep warm.
- Continue the process, one tortilla at a time until all the tortillas have been cooked. Serve warm.
- Tortillas are best served immediately. Best the day they are made. They can be reheated in the microwave by wrapping in a damp paper towel and heated for 30 seconds.