Cut Out Sugar Cookies–Gluten Free
This is a special request for a good, easy and gluten-free sugar cookie. Mom’s everywhere are preparing items they will use in packing lunches for their gluten-free kids. Although this recipe was available last November for the holidays, here is the recipe again. I swear you won’t know it is gluten-free! So for the start of the new school year, here is my favorite cut out, sugar cookie recipe. Of course, decorate the for the season when you are using them–or just top with a sprinkle of sugar. Happy gluten-free baking!
- 2 cups Baking Free Gluten-Free all purpose flour (plus more for rolling out)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8oz unsalted butter (one stick, softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In a bowl for stand mixer, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually mix in the flour mixture. Turn out dough, and divide in half. Flatten each half into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Let one disk of dough stand at room temperature just until soft enough to roll, about 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured work surface to just under ¼ inch thick, adding more flour as needed to keep dough from sticking. Cut out cookies using desired cutters. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets as you work. Roll out scraps, and repeat once. Cookies cut from scraps repeatedly reworked get tough.
- Bake cookies until edges turn golden, about 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
- Repeat cutting out and baking with second disk. Decorate cookies with icing once completely cooled. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.